176 replies to this topic

#46 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:01 PM

Sounds like an excellent day.

Unlikely to be going myself now, as the price hike makes it more per day than the Event Horizon course - and that course includes accomodation.
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#47 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:22 PM

Please let me know by pm and by putting your name down in this thread. I will trawl through this thread later and contact those that were initially interested.

Gareth
Phew that was close.

#48 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:28 PM

Sounds like an excellent day.

Unlikely to be going myself now, as the price hike makes it more per day than the Event Horizon course - and that course includes accomodation.

That may be true, however the Event horizon course focuses more on the history, storage, transport environment etc as well as the practiacl side. On this course there will be more hands on with the bits that most want to play with and experience (in smaller working groups).

This course is more of a practical introduction to high explosives rather than 2 days of lectures on the legislation and a few hands on demo's. I would hazard an educated guess that you will get more hands on in one day on this course than you would in the full three days of the Event Horizon course.

Edited by digger, 07 September 2010 - 02:29 PM.

Phew that was close.

#49 Bob Twells

Bob Twells

UKPS Web Admin

• UKPS Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:28 PM

Count me in definitely. I will find out about friends who were also interested initially.

#50 johndee

johndee

UKPS Secretary

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:49 PM

Still sounds like good value to me.

#51 chrismdunford

chrismdunford

UKPS Treasurer

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 04:28 PM

Will there still be priority and discounts for UKPS members or is this not a UKPS organized course?

#52 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:00 PM

I'm still up for it's pretty local for me !!!
i don't have a tent is it ok to bring my van and sleep(i nearly said crash)in that ?
Yo Ho Ho, a pyro's life for me

#53 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:06 PM

Unfortunately I can't make the date as I will be rigging in Southport at the fireworks championships. Bummer! If the course is rescheduled for a later date, then I would be definitely interested.

#54 Candle

Candle

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:59 PM

Please include me. Fortunately I have a friend about 10 minutes from Paddock Wood so happy days for me, a double bed will definitely win over the specially designed 10mm thick ' at one with nature' polyurethane sleep roll ....... both Friday and Saturday but I will return on Sunday to clear up, also the nice little hook about experiments got me, nice one.

The program looks incredible how lucky are we!

£150.00 no problem.

I have noted a couple of mentions to a change of date, please if this is the case can we please be informed sooner than later please.

#55 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 03:27 PM

Right then chaps. Thanks for the support.

There will be no change of date. We will either get enough people to make the course run or we won't. I will contact people shortly regarding who to get the cheque off to.

There has been a little bit of good news. At our fortnightly meeting we have agreed to subsidise the course slightly for full UKPS members bringing the cost to £140 for full members.

Cheers

Gareth
Phew that was close.

#56 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 06:48 PM

Having done the Event Horizons course, the UKPS/Live Action FX course is the same or better according to the listing provided. The event horizon course was supposed to have accommodation included but IT DIDN'T B&B cost me another £80 and dinner was £20 a night for two evenings.

The UKPS/Live Action FX course looks like being as much enjoyment for a third of the price, with a LOT more practical work involved.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#57 Candle

Candle

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:08 PM

Digger

Good to speak on Friday and I look forward to your posting of all things SFX course , where to send cheques etc.

I was in Yalding yesterday at my friends and as a guide, Hop Farm / Paddock Wood is less than 10 minute drive from his, I certainly got lucky on this one.

Regards

#58 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:25 PM

Just a quick bump.

Thanks to those who have emailed and confirmed. If you want to go on this course please let me know very soon.

Gareth (07525 199210)
Phew that was close.

#59 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 04:44 PM

Right then chaps.

I have waited an extra day or two to try and mop up any extra participants for this course.

Unfortunately we did not manage to get enough people together to make the course run on this occasion.

We apologise for the disappointment that this will cause to those looking forward to this excellent event.

Some of the materials have been bought for the course, so we will give it another go to get it going again. However we will now wait until spring to ensure all of the other clashing events are out of the way and we have a bit more daylight.

The proposed new date will be at the end of March / beginning of April. We will try and confirm this date very soon so that we can get firm bookings sooner rather than later.

A couple of points have been raised by one or two people. One of which was "Does this course lead to an official qualification". The answer to this is no, however the course is being run by chartered members of the institute of engineers. We could give a certification of attendance. This would go some way to proving that you have gained some experience with certain effects when talking to insurance companies. This can only be a plus point, as ultimately the key to insurance is being able to prove that you have relevant experience and understand the risks.

Gareth

Edited by digger, 21 September 2010 - 04:45 PM.

Phew that was close.

#60 Bob Twells

Bob Twells

UKPS Web Admin

• UKPS Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:44 PM

What a shame, it sounded like a great day. Thanks for your efforts trying to get it organised. How close were we with the attendance numbers?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users