35 replies to this topic

#31 exat808

exat808

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 05:18 PM

Oh, I did not realise that I sounded like that, sorry for that, I do need to calm down.
Actually I was quite serious about joining there, but as Peret says, one: there's simply too much formality involved to get my finger stuck out, we need to supply a whole range of identity documents, I have never actually seen my own birth certificate in my whole life, let alone a photocopy. Two: where it says the membership is for one calender year, does this mean that this spans from the month that membership starts to the end of the same year? It wouldn't be very cost efficient for anyone if they signed up in November (for example), and then have membership end same year.
three: I am still too new to this hobby to gain any benefit from joining the society.

Sorry if I sounded ungrateful, believe me when I say I didn't mean to.

Hi Darkfang77. As a younger member of the wider explosives community in the UK you are very much needed. There are so few people entering the profession these days. This has been as a result of changes in commercial practices, global economic shrinkage,and any number of other suitable phrases to say that "things arent how they used to be". The UK is going to have a serious shortfall of people with knowledge of explosives within a few years. People such as myself and some other contributors to these forums are in the latter part of their professional explosives careers and in many case we cannot see a line of succession of people to follow in our shoes. I particulalry note your last point above which I have highlighted. Joining any organised body that has a "voice" can only be a worthwhile step to you gaining further knowledge in the field of pyrotechnics. You also have to consider the benefit that a society would gain from having one additional member prepared to express an opinion or even just send an email on its behalf.
We all started somewhere in our life with explosives (37 years ago in my case and still handling/using explosives on a very regular basis). If you are determined you will not fall by the wayside. get stuck in and join UKPS, continue to contribute to the forums, everyones voice is welcome.
Thats my patriotic speech over.

#32 Peret

Peret

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:02 PM

the need for security is lost on me

My point exactly. And I don't think sending actual documents is any answer. Nobody would do this. They send them to the passport office because they have to, but membership of UKPS is optional. Besides, I could send my actual passport to be examined, and you STILL wouldn't know if it was really me applying, or a member of some foreign security service establishing a legend before they set off to assassinate some politician with a large flash salute.

You have a right to know that the members of the society are who they say they are, fair enough. But you can never absolutely know. You can have a level of confidence ranging from about 0.001% when someone registers for the forum, up to about 99.9% if you marry them and live together for 20 years. What I was trying to point out is that the confidence level is no better from photocopied docs sent by post than from scanned docs sent online.

#33 chrismdunford

chrismdunford

UKPS Treasurer

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:10 PM

I have started a new thread on the subject of membership as this one has gone rather off topic.

New thread on membership

#34 darkfang77

darkfang77

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:50 PM

Hi Darkfang77. As a younger member of the wider explosives community in the UK you are very much needed. There are so few people entering the profession these days. This has been as a result of changes in commercial practices, global economic shrinkage,and any number of other suitable phrases to say that "things arent how they used to be". The UK is going to have a serious shortfall of people with knowledge of explosives within a few years. People such as myself and some other contributors to these forums are in the latter part of their professional explosives careers and in many case we cannot see a line of succession of people to follow in our shoes. I particulalry note your last point above which I have highlighted. Joining any organised body that has a "voice" can only be a worthwhile step to you gaining further knowledge in the field of pyrotechnics. You also have to consider the benefit that a society would gain from having one additional member prepared to express an opinion or even just send an email on its behalf.
We all started somewhere in our life with explosives (37 years ago in my case and still handling/using explosives on a very regular basis). If you are determined you will not fall by the wayside. get stuck in and join UKPS, continue to contribute to the forums, everyones voice is welcome.
Thats my patriotic speech over.

OK, I'll be frank, my interest is mainly in Chemistry, but there aren't that many experiments that are tailored for chemistry enthusiasts to do at home, but having a go at pyrotechnics seemed the most logical thing to do.
I will consider joining at some point in my life, maybe when I am earning a steady income, so I can take advantage of discounts, or when I am free of education, so I can visit any UKPS conventions.
Until then, the next best thing is to experiment, that's what we're all here for?

Can I get back onto the original question:

How do the HSE or the thingy-board, what regulates stuff and things, define what a practical device is?

I spent some time checking previous debates, as someone advised, here is the link to the debate I am particularly interested:
http://www.pyrosocie...wder-in-the-uk/

The quote you are looking for is:
"I afraid the 100g limit (no more at anyone time) is for explosive substances only.Putting it into a tube it becomes an explosive device which im afraid to say is illegal,even if it's a nice fountain."

This contradicts what you said earlier about the legality of making fireworks at home, now can anyone understand why I am so confused on the matter of legality??

#35 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:46 PM

heres a good site for the home chemist science made alive if thats what floats yer boat
the low down is a pracital device is as basic as you adding a comp to a tube! sigh

#36 darkfang77

darkfang77

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 10:05 PM

heres a good site for the home chemist science made alive if thats what floats yer boat
the low down is a pracital device is as basic as you adding a comp to a tube! sigh

That's the really the sort of investigative chemistry I'm looking for, YouTube Nurdrage and you'll know what I mean...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users