• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#16 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:27 PM

Pyrosailor tells me by private message that his actions are lawful in his country of residence, So I've asked him if we can all move in with him!
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#17 Karl Mitchell-Shead

Karl Mitchell-Shead

MIExpE & Director - Illusion Fireworks Ltd

• UKPS Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:25 AM

Assuming MSER even applies indicates a very restricted view. Forum members come from several countries. To my personal knowledge there are members in the UK, USA, South America, Geographer's Europe, India and Australaisia. Each of these countries will have their own legislation.

I'm certain that Pyrosailor99 is not in the UK.

HOWEVER this is the UK Pyrotechnics Society and as such our leglislation should be made clear. It is pretty clear from te fashion in which Pyrosailer types that he/she is not from the UK, again HOWEVER Creepin Pyro is.

On the face of things this is a UK based forum and it should have a restricted view.

www.illusionfireworks.com - A SKY FULL OF MAGIC!

#18 Karl Mitchell-Shead

Karl Mitchell-Shead

• UKPS Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:33 AM

So I guess you would rather take down the forums and replace it with a nice banner outlining the law surrounding MSER?

Or mabye trawl through years and years worth of posts and add legal notices to the effect of 'doing this would be illegal unless you have x licences'?

I think you fail to grasp the aims of the society. Leglislation has moved on, the way it is enforced has moved on, you can no longer get away with anywhere near as much as we used to. In order to protect its members and aims the forum should keep all onward discussion 100% by the book, at least for the parts of the forum that are open to public view.

You see these video's of people filming their speedo's doing 160mph on a motorcycle and then popping it up on youtube, that leaves them open to prosecution. By openly admitting on a public forum you are intentionally breaking the law leaves you wide open to the consequences. I'm not just being pedantic either, i'm talking genuinely from experience.

Being so brisent in what you do things contrary to MSER publicly is actually detrimental to the forum and society and null's some of it's credibility.

Edited by Masterchief, 15 September 2011 - 09:33 AM.

#19 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:15 AM

true what you say chief, but is it not up to the mods or ukps staff to do all the disclaimers to cover there ass. there is also a few members on here that have access to uk pyro manufacturing sites.

if the original poster said I'm ball milling 3kg of bp in my top floor flat in London the yes by all means do your worst lol but things are to quite on here enough without frightening new members away.

its sad we all have to be so underground even for members trying to stick to the rules. it seems everyone is guilty until proven innocent in these forums. :(

oh well back to the underground :(

Edited by PyroPDC, 15 September 2011 - 11:17 AM.

#20 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:22 AM

Edited by Creepin_pyro, 20 September 2011 - 04:44 PM.

#21 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:30 AM

You see these video's of people filming their speedo's doing 160mph on a motorcycle and then popping it up on youtube, that leaves them open to prosecution.

Exceeding a nation's relevant speed limit would be an offence in that Country, BUT to take your example, doing 160 MPH on a German Autobahn would never be prosecutable under British law.

MSER as written is relevant ONLY to Great Britain, That is ONLY England Scotland and Wales -not even Northern Ireland. One would have to take qualified advice to determine the position in the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.

Members of this FORUM come from many countries, where fireworks may be fully legal inc DIY manufacture, or totally illegal even to possess. If what people do is lawful in their place of residence then we probably can't stop them.

The thread on this forum about the SE Asian Ban-Fai-yai (really big rockets) didn't attract the same abuse as this topic, and I think most / ALL of us would like to see the HUGE Girandolas made in Thailand and viewable on Youtube.

#22 Karl Mitchell-Shead

Karl Mitchell-Shead

• UKPS Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:33 AM

That's what i don't get about UKPS, the societies aims are:

To clarify the laws relating to the manufacture and storage of explosives for our membership

So no more discussion of manufacture then?

Well it is illegal! So kind of contrary to UKPS's aims is it not?!

p.s I seemed to have been banned from the personal conversation you started but in answer to your question:

Yes, why? Are you saying you reccomend milling 3kg batches??!!

to which you replied

If that's the optimal charge for the jar size, then obviously, yes

you should reccomend milling njo more than 100g

#23 Karl Mitchell-Shead

Karl Mitchell-Shead

• UKPS Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:39 AM

Exceeding a nation's relevant speed limit would be an offence in that Country, BUT to take your example, doing 160 MPH on a German Autobahn would never be prosecutable under British law.

MSER as written is relevant ONLY to Great Britain, That is ONLY England Scotland and Wales -not even Northern Ireland. One would have to take qualified advice to determine the position in the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.

Members of this FORUM come from many countries, where fireworks may be fully legal inc DIY manufacture, or totally illegal even to possess. If what people do is lawful in their place of residence then we probably can't stop them.

The thread on this forum about the SE Asian Ban-Fai-yai (really big rockets) didn't attract the same abuse as this topic, and I think most / ALL of us would like to see the HUGE Girandolas made in Thailand and viewable on Youtube.

WHATS WITH ALL THE CAPITAL LETTERS?

You are missing my point entirely, this IS the UK. The society IS the UK Pyrotechnic Society.

Read the aims of the society roger, particularly this section:

The society is mainly concerned with the manufacture of fireworks. Historically in the UK, domestic manufacture has long been in decline with most production now carried out in the Far East. Despite this there is a thriving community of individuals whose interest and passion is the display and manufacture of fireworks and pyrotechnics.

In the UK, the manufacture and storage of explosives is highly regulated, and so the society’s priorities are to clarify the legal position of our members and provide guidance to our members on how they can go about safely and legally persuing their hobby.

Where is the clarity?

Edited by Masterchief, 15 September 2011 - 11:44 AM.

#24 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:41 PM

Masterchief,

The society may be called the UKPS,and our aims are well known but we are open to people from all over the world and i for one like to see posts from international posters,i am pretty sure that pyrosailor is from the US where it is perfectly legal to mill 3kg of b.p so whats the big deal.

If i want a bit of a banal, plain forum i visit the UKFr ! :rolleyes:

#25 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:38 PM

Edited by Creepin_pyro, 20 September 2011 - 04:43 PM.

#26 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:55 PM

Whilst I understand that different countries have different laws I am a little suprised at the negative reaction the words of caution prompted..... not good

#27 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:38 AM

the aim of the ukps is to "To clarify the laws relating to the manufacture and storage of explosives for our membership"

but this is only so we can change the law because to change the law the ukps have to clarify what the current law is.

if a member asks what are the laws on manufacturing then the answer will be as you said but the ukps can't be held for the actions of its members,

if what you say is correct this forum should not be here because everything is illegal.

but then does that not mean all the people selling chemicals or hemis are also illegal because why would anyone buy 3" hemis when that's over 100g. In some ways yourself selling fuse shows that you feel people should have the option to buy it, its not your fault what the customers decides to do with it. people are innocent until proven guilty.

#28 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:51 AM

The simple fact is that the OP has checked that his actions are lawful in his country of residence, and he tells me that he has a safe place to work away from homes.

As he is not in GB MSER simply doesn't apply, so the 100g rule is a red herring in this situation.

#29 Karl Mitchell-Shead

Karl Mitchell-Shead

• UKPS Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:00 AM

I'll bow out but I think you should all leave pyro to the professionals.

UKFR is a FAR better community and at least that forum is busy.

#30 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:39 AM

I am sure that if anyone from the authorities saw a post regarding milling large amounts of powder, and they wished to investigate, they would simply check the IP address of the poster to determine if they are in the UK or not, before going any further.

Edited by Mortartube, 16 September 2011 - 08:40 AM.

Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users