I've been inspired by Gareth's appearance in the One Show

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#16 helix

helix

• UKPS Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:14 PM

After having read through the MSER regs, provided that limited quantities of materials were to be manufactured/ stored then surely the acreage required could be reduced considerably?

I intend to be moving house in the next few years and would be looking for somewhere with a few acres. I would hope to be able to then pursue my hobby in accordance with the law. Is this not possible without having to buy a farm?

#17 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:24 PM

to be fair kimbolton have a small amount of land with the majority of it being storage. the land around it is just farm land so ideally it would be great to own the land around it but most sites i know they dont own the land around it.

but then if farmer next to your site wanted to sell the land and build houses on it surly they would need planning permission which they would have to consider your business.

#18 exat808

exat808

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:33 PM

but then if farmer next to your site wanted to sell the land and build houses on it surly they would need planning permission which they would have to consider your business.

Sadly not the case - there is no precedent for refusing a planning application solely because the proposed development sits within the safeguarded area of an explosives site. The whole thrust of the matter is for the person who is the licencee to safeguard his distances and that generally means purchasing additional land as a buffer zone around the stores or process buildings..

#19 exat808

exat808

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:47 PM

Exat808 I understand what you are saying but 30-40 Acres or 500 Acres are vast plots of land. Is it because Peter stone is surrounded by forest? Were the criteria different for Edwin Bailey in the 80s I mean would that kind of set up not be posible now? I did google earth his house sometime ago and his plots was secluded but other houses were nearby. Also you say 500 Acres for a moderate operation. When I spoke to Ron he said his site was about 5 Acres. So does he own the road and layby just ouside his gate? I thought anyone could pull in there?

Maxman

For a manufacturing site the distances from each process building are determined by the HSE Inspector who issues the licence after careful determination of exactly what processes and quantities are required to be kept in in that location. I accept that 500 acres sounds a bit extreme so I will add some balance to the thread by saying that each application for a manufacturing licence will be very much site specific and the HSE can implement distances provided that the occupier takes certain mitigating measures in respect of the construction of his buildings etc.

#20 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:17 PM

You could possible licence a factory on half an acre. BUT it would be really tiny and have almost no storage. Remember that components and ingredients MAY be HT1 for storage and have big safety distances. (That lift cop hides BP which is a COER 1.1x high explosive needing full security and precautions, but when part of an explosive article can be as lowly rated and 1.4 according to the weights and sizes.)

500 acres of land purchased would be for a large facility and would ensure that there were no neighbours to complain within reasonable safety distances so Planning Permission may not have public complaints. Also if someone wanted to build houses up to your border you may still have a good safety distance. Anyone relying on land that is owned by someone else as safety distance is on a permanent knife edge lest they should sell to a builder for development.

Buy the acres and let them for crops or grazing with the full knowledge that their landlord owns the explosives factory. Use Goats and Geese for grazing and guarding duties!
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#21 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:10 PM

I empathise with pyro PDC on this, I too would give my help to create & build a small club based firework making facility where we could experiment with small quantities in the middle of nowhere and out of harms way. the distances could in theory be drastically reduced if legislation was changed or allowed to include better design, more earth banks, blast walls and underground bunkers, or even further containment could be done with water filled IBC tanks, shipping containers or portakabins (temporary buildings) could be used as theoretical class rooms with cameras linked to live firework making elsewhere on site. Electricity could be provided with our own generators/solar power for lighting, and perhaps water stored in IBC tanks fed from underground bore holes/wells.

Why are we not allowed to have a setup along the lines of Rev Lancasters manufacturing facility, but with a added testing firing range/site? the only other idea is to perhaps approach the MOD to temporarily rent there land?

#22 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:18 PM

Why are we not allowed to have a setup along the lines of Rev Lancasters manufacturing facility, but with a added testing firing range/site?

The main issue here is that Ron Lancaster actually described his facility as a £2M investment that he cannot get back. SO as we (the Society) are currently valued at sub £2K we need a LOT of additional funding! As we could only get three people together at the Lord Mayor of London's firework display I really doubt that £2M of investment is reasonable.

#23 Night Owl

Night Owl

Shell

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:37 PM

Go to google maps, look up Dairy farm Rd, Rainford, look about 200 mtr south, that is poss a manufacturer site, they used to be for Ammo storage and they have around 10ft of soil around each one, now I believe they can be for let.

#24 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:34 AM

I bet if the ukps asked its members if we were intrested in helping fund and aid a small manufacturing site there would be a lot of interest and once it had been built and in use lots more member would apply for ukps membership.

instead of trying to get the hse to allow small maufacture at home the HSE surly would agree a master site were people can practice and learn there pyro hobby in the safety of a HSE leicenced manufacting site which would be in the best interests for everyone.

kimbolton have a very nice setup a LOT of storage (which most of the cost went into, there not just a small storage container they are explosive magazines which cost a lot as i remember from the factory tour im sure the rev said 25 grand each though i cant fully remember x that by the 30 odd storage units and yes its a lot. but the manufacture side is quite small in costs.

i think rented land would be the only way the ukps could ever move forward at first,

#25 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:01 AM

Apart from the practical issues, there is the greater security issue.

HSE need to be certain that all people involved with explosives are of extremely good character. On this FORUM there is no vetting, we don't even know who most of the members are. Maybe it's important to realise that this forum is a pin-board on the wall of the world for all to see and read and for anyone to join to post. I did once receive a forum email from a dot IN domain which is India. There is no knowing whether people of less peaceful intent gain from reading the forum.

There is NO WAY that HSE would sanction a factory where unknown people could do their own thing. There MAY be a possibility that HSE would consider a factory group say less than ten people as working directors of a manufacturing company, all vetted, all UK citizens of good history and character. However this would only be open to HSE approved people and would not be discussable in public space inc the forum ad the web. 24/7 security would be a huge cost as would CADding product for manufacture and transport. Then comes the issue of what could be made, HSE would need to be certain of it's intent and each HSE contact costs ~£200 an hour. Then comes the issue of funding The working directors would have to fund the project without selling product. Then comes the issue of continued existence There would need to be a mechanism for directors to be succeeded on the end of their interest or funds, this may need new fully vetted people being waiting "for a vacancy" which in times of financial stress may not happen.

Add to all that it would be most irritating if someone built a house inside the safety distance and caused the factory to close losing everything for everybody involved.

#26 exat808

exat808

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:19 AM

Apart from the practical issues, there is the greater security issue.

HSE need to be certain that all people involved with explosives are of extremely good character. On this FORUM there is no vetting, we don't even know who most of the members are. Maybe it's important to realise that this forum is a pin-board on the wall of the world for all to see and read and for anyone to join to post. I did once receive a forum email from a dot IN domain which is India. There is no knowing whether people of less peaceful intent gain from reading the forum.

There is NO WAY that HSE would sanction a factory where unknown people could do their own thing. There MAY be a possibility that HSE would consider a factory group say less than ten people as working directors of a manufacturing company, all vetted, all UK citizens of good history and character. However this would only be open to HSE approved people and would not be discussable in public space inc the forum ad the web. 24/7 security would be a huge cost as would CADding product for manufacture and transport. Then comes the issue of what could be made, HSE would need to be certain of it's intent and each HSE contact costs ~£200 an hour. Then comes the issue of funding The working directors would have to fund the project without selling product. Then comes the issue of continued existence There would need to be a mechanism for directors to be succeeded on the end of their interest or funds, this may need new fully vetted people being waiting "for a vacancy" which in times of financial stress may not happen.

Add to all that it would be most irritating if someone built a house inside the safety distance and caused the factory to close losing everything for everybody involved.

A lot of wise words from Arthur and other contributors to the thread.
A small manufacturing site should be achievable.

Application should be from a sole individual or a defined corporate body (UKPS Pyro Ltd !) thereby providing a conduit for legal processes such as employment and health and safety legislation.
The applicant should own or have a lengthy lease on the land
HSE Inspectors costs can be kept to a minimum by having a well prepared and detailed initial application. I have experience of HSE site licence applications and would freely consult for UKPS if asked.

#27 whoof

whoof

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:41 AM

After having read through the MSER regs, provided that limited quantities of materials were to be manufactured/ stored then surely the acreage required could be reduced considerably?

I intend to be moving house in the next few years and would be looking for somewhere with a few acres. I would hope to be able to then pursue my hobby in accordance with the law. Is this not possible without having to buy a farm?

Year or two back i looked at a site for a selfbuild project, there was an option to lease/buy amenity land with it, middle 'o' nowhere(northants), risk of development happening possibly but unlikely.
Looked ideal but was told in no uncertain terms that PP would not be forthcoming, club or not.

#28 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:48 AM

Now with that generous offer, all we need is a commitment from enough people of skill, interest and good character to fund enough money to form a company and buy some land.

However as the latest Royal Society lecture on fireworks attracted no-one and the City of London mayormaking fireworks attracted just three for a free fireworks display, real commitment isn't a great feature of the forum folk here.

#29 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:42 PM

the last factory tour to kimbolton organised by the ukps was jam packed (a lot of interest) not all people have interests in attending lectures ect.

the ukps already vets people needing more information than if i wanted a uk bank account lol.

cads would not be required if they are making on site to be stored and fired on site.though if a member wanted to gets cads using there own funds then thats up to them.

people already can buy chemicals and make black powder, stars and put them all togetger to make shells, rockets ect and as bad as it is the only place they can do this so loved hobbie is in there sheds, garages, basements. its understandable that hse dont want this but if the ukps and hse work together and helped make a club base this all could be done in the safety of a licensed manufacturing site.

Edited by PyroPDC, 13 November 2011 - 12:43 PM.

#30 whoof

whoof

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:08 PM

No one seems to have mentioned location.
Small turnout for the Lord Mayors display indicates the problem , we are all scattered about.

I have so far looked at locations in Staffs, Oxon , And Northants.
All rural (greenbelt) and with 2 to 10 acres of amenity land whih from a safety point of view looked good.
As far as storage is concerned , as a club facility , How much is likely ?
Its not as though we would be storing tons surely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users