70 replies to this topic

#31 exat808

exat808

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:18 PM

No one seems to have mentioned location.
Small turnout for the Lord Mayors display indicates the problem , we are all scattered about.

I have so far looked at locations in Staffs, Oxon , And Northants.
All rural (greenbelt) and with 2 to 10 acres of amenity land whih from a safety point of view looked good.
As far as storage is concerned , as a club facility , How much is likely ?
Its not as though we would be storing tons surely.

An example of storage implications would be -
If 250 kg of HT4 was kept - separation distance is zero
If 250 kg of HT3 was kept - SD is 42m
If 250 kg of HT1 was kept - SD is 68m

#32 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:19 PM

I think Arthur makes some very valid points (if i am reading him correctly) in terms of wishful desire as a community pyrotechnic group and the actual lack of commitment from the majority of us existing individual forum participants in some areas of our interests = it seems we want to go on the courses for our individual needs but not much else as a voluntary group, or perhaps there are just not enough of us to engage or commit and take responsiblity? but that said, - perhaps the first course of action is for the UKPS to carry out some studies/polls to actually see if the rest of the scientific/engineering communities would back or engage with us to create a licensed firework making/testing facilitiy?, I think we need to contact and build bridges with the education & scientific authorities in terms of seeking some sponsorship/funding once we prove a degree of interest after our results.

I know Exat808 (in another post & subject) has kindly offered to liase with the likes of the Professor (forgot him name) who gave the recent fireworks lecture at the Royal Society = As a pyrotechnic group, should we not follow this up if we are serious about our intentions?.

Are there existing test facilities that we could share with either private commercial companies? what about Cranfield University? or some of the military supply companies?

The MOD could be the way forward for many reasons in terms of affordability, they would have land and exisiting magazines, storage, extensive safety distances & security already in place that we could rent for a trial period of say 2 years = then we could really judge interest..

Vetting of club members or the public to use the facilities could be done via a CRB and police checks to weed out anyone not of good character, but who at the HSE would approve of teaching the art of making fireworks when there is no actual qualifications or apprenticeships in the subject?

Question to Exat808;- Does HSE`s remit & legislation extend to the land or facilities owned by the MOD?

Edited by crystal palace fireworks, 13 November 2011 - 01:39 PM.

#33 exat808

exat808

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:29 PM

Question to Exat808;- Does HSE`s remit & legislation extend to the land or facilities owned by the MOD?

The MOD have their own explosives manufacture and storage regulations - JSP 482. These largely follow MSER but are understandably more complex than MSER to allow for the storage and processing of everything in the military arsenal.
The MOD have their own Chief Inspector of Explosives who commands a tri-service inspection and compliance team. The HSE however do have an enforcement role and would act if the MOD failed to comply with their own regulations. HSE routinely conduct site inspections with MOD explosives inspectors.
Additionally the MOD have their own classification authority -ESTC who issue CAD style documentation for all explosives used by the military.

#34 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:52 PM

The UKPS members "vetting" involves simply seeing one form of medium hard (ie a bit better than you could make yourself!) ID to confirm your real name.

Vetting for most legal functions needs a LOT more than that. An enhanced CRB check for working with vunerable people needs several pages of forms filling in and multiple hard checks of ID (Passport or better!). Joining the forces takes a full check of you and your family and parents family history, Joining other agencies means having all your friends checked as well -even associating with suspected people could cost you. Expect vetting to take up to six months. Even "Blaster Bates" recounts having an invitation to be an advisor to a "political organisation" (the IRA). Just that now the letters have changed a bit, people will still want to gain explosives skills for the wrong purposes.

Wherever we an find a site with land, space and planning permission will be the right place! Getting all together is so hard that we simply don't have a choice! It will be up to the interested members to accept the location!
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#35 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:00 PM

i think woof and exat make a good point

eg a 6" shell has about 1.5kg in stars, burst ect so thats over 166x 6" shell if we had a 250kg store

a 16" shell weighs 20kg so that 12x 16" shells

so only a tiny store would be needed.

seeing how professional and well detailed the report the ukps sent to the hse to try get the 100g rule verified, i have no doubt the ukps could do it, add to that the professional skills and connections on the forum like exact808.

judging by the attendance of the non official ukps meet ups we all used to have there is still a lot of interest.

Edited by PyroPDC, 13 November 2011 - 02:05 PM.

#36 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:19 PM

IMO the factory issue could be self terminating. Once one becomes a suitable person with access to a licensed store, and fully insured then professional firework suppliers will take your money and sell to you. IMO (again) most hobby manufacturers make because they cannot buy the fireworks that they crave.

#37 spectrum

spectrum

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:23 PM

I think this was covered before, I was a bit disheartened by some of the contributions at the time too.

When I started our place I had very little money, almost none actually. I do not think this is an impossible dream for anyone, here is what I did:

1. I explored every former military facility in the country - former air bases to be precise. I bought a book on RAF history and went out every evening looking. This was before Google Earth or indeed the internet so it involved rambling.

2. Out of 35 potential sites only two had real potential, one of those was spoken for (RAF Binbrook which is now a large storage facility for fireworks) and my own.

3. I tracked down the owner of the other, a homeless man living in an old vehicle on site led me to him.

4. I negotiated occupancy on the basis that I would get the place tidied up and licenced in advance of paying any rent.

5. I worked elsewhere to make a bit of money, ducking and diving I managed to establish an independent position in the business doing firework displays which didn't require a manufacturing licence, although this was my zenith.

6. I drafted the licence myself - I had been working in the pyrotechnics industry for the past 15 yeays and knew how to do this, I also knew people at HSE, I got no favours but was treated very fairly and sympathetically by inspectors no longer there - Dr Andrew Train was patient as I recall, Phil Wellings was my first inspector - an absolute gentleman. These two are not around not, Andrew was sadly made redundant recently and Phil very sadly died after retirement. I won't mention others who are still with the inspectorate, you get good and bad, but most certainly the vast majority are good believe it or not. They're not there to hurt you. I have had only one problematic inspector who I will not name, all the others have been completely fair and decent, my present inspector (again won't name him) is absolutely first class. No nonsense - if I make a mistake he will point it out in no uncertain terms, he has real experience in the business and is worth his weight in gold. Our last inspection was hugely beneficial, as we are not a COMAH site we didn't pay for the visit - but we would not have complained at a bill.

I have drifted a bit there......but....

7. The licence took 12 months to secure. I have to say this was down to experience, if you mess about it will go backwards and forwards and each deliberation will cost you money. Mine went like clockwork and ended up costing £400 application fee and a further £350 at the end (from memory, best recalled estimate)

8. Being a former explosives depot we were not much use for anything else and favoured by the local authority. Our landlord was and is a real gentleman too. He has become a very close friend over the years.

9. Money was always a bit of a stumbling block - you never have enough. We started with one building and one small magazine which was bought secondhand for £125. Traded from this position and then added another two sheds and two chemicals stores. Bought three of these secondhand and one new one. As things got better added more magazines and sheds, new sheds as and when finances allowed, the magazines came from Standard Fireworks when they were clearing out. Amended the licence twice to accommodate the expansions.

Within three years we were busy and established - it all started unbelievably with about £400 and a lot of negotiation and a decent landlord.

We did cover this years ago and I suggested that the society form a cooperative to do the same, this was misinterpreted as an offer of accommodation at our place - I wasn't against this actually at the time - but my comments were described as "unhelpful" by one member of the society who informed me - rather arrogantly I have to say - that negotiations with another facility were well under way and pretty much suggested that I was not wanted or needed. (I wasn't even trying to sell the idea!). I will repeat what I suggested then, with the best intentions, I don't want to come across as arrogant:

1. Get together and decide how many of you are really interested in getting a factory up and running - it ISN'T impossible, I proved that to myself.

2. Be aware that the costs can be considerable but by careful and prudent organisation they can be kept under control.

3. Be sure that you involve the right people - THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT. I have had disgusting people latch onto me in the past, real parasites. I am fortunate in that I work independently now and keep the rubbish at arms length, we will never again accommodate idiots on site, those around me are trusted and decent people and we operate in a way which is accountable, professional and democratic. Remember, if you have the wrong person on site you will ultimately be held responsible for their actions. No argument about it.

4. Don't load yourself down with negativity. It is easy for people to focus on the reasons why you will fail - be positive and you will succeed. I always think, by analogy, of the statistical costs of having a child. It is reported that a child, in the first 16 years of its life, will cost its parents umpteen hundred thousand pounds. Most people haven't got that sort of money, but a great many have children - I've got three but I'm not rich!
What I'm trying to say is that you simply manage.

To address some of the points raised in this thread: Outside safety distances. We are unnaffected, partly because the site is very large but also - and I may contradict some people here - because we were there first. A recent development by a neighbour was rejected by the plannings following intervention by HSE because they were too close to me. I didn't raise the objection, I actually tried to reverse it and offerred to reduce the weights in a proposed but as yet unbuilt magazine. I was thwarted and tole that even as licence holder, I couldn't prevent HSE from objecting to the neighbours plans!!

So don't get too concerned about the distances, limit your activities to the space available but of course, plan your location within an area which offers surrounding vacancy!

5. Preparations need to address the paperwork. I read with interest the ob jections raised by certain "competitors" about the raft of paperwork they have to crawl through to get anything done. What they are really saying is "we are incapable of handling paperwork, as required by the authorities". If you can't cope with academic responsibilities then you shouldn't be in this business I'm afraid. But it really isn't that bad. Again, HSE offer bags of guidance, you simply need to be literate and professional and, willing to invest a bit of time as required.

Having read the contributions made by members of the society and knowing the backgrounds of some, I do not see this as being a problem. Don't be put off.

When I posted on this subject some years back I made an offer to draft a template licence for the benefit of the society. I offerred to do so without charge and that offer remains in place. If you want my help ask, I will gladly provide it. I may upset some people but I do so with the very best and most sincere good intentions:
I don't agree with the manufacture of pyrotechnic materials or devices in domestic settings, to me this is fraught with danger - no matter how careful the practitioner feels he is being. It simply doesn't work in my mind and that, in a nutshell is why we have laws. I know this will come across as pompous and I don't mean to be like that. But knowing what a decent bunch you all are - and I mean that - it would upset me dreadfully to learn of an accident which could have been avoided had the events leading to the cause been conducted in a proper place.

My advice is: consider carefully and SERIOUSLY the setting up of a society factory. Talk to the HSE. Talk to each other. Formulate a sensible working framework. GET ON WITH IT!!

Paul M.

#38 spectrum

spectrum

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:25 PM

I should have added..... Gareth is an inspiration to many, myself included. Follow his lead and you won't go far wrong.

#39 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:33 PM

HSE may have objected to an encroaching planning application for you, BUT there was recent case law of an old established squash club being forced to close after the occupants of a new block of flats complained about the noise of squash being played. Owning your own safety distance is a solid way to protect your existence.

Edited by Arthur Brown, 13 November 2011 - 02:33 PM.

#40 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 03:30 PM

Quote Spectrum
"I had been working in the pyrotechnics industry for the past 15 yeays and knew how to do this"

Your factory started from a position where you were known of good character and great knowledge in the industry, and knew the HSE positively.

The society starts from almost the opposite position -little or no industry knowledge or credibility and a wall of caution between us and HSE.

Also you formed your factory when things were still made in Britain and factories were OK. Now we have outsourced all hazard, risk and dirt and sent it to places with a worse environmental record so that no-one gets hurt in our factories because there are none!

An off industry example is the ship dismantling dock built on the East Coast, A specially built huge containment building where all the steel copper and hazardous materials could be separated indoors for handling as the ship was being cut up. The whole thing lies unused because the neighbours don't like it, and ships are cut up on the Asian coast letting all the pollutants run into the sea and air.

#41 exat808

exat808

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 03:49 PM

For all the negative thoughts though I can think of at least 3 new HSE sites that have been established in the last few years. One in particular on a green field very rural location with no local objections being raised.

The idea of site sharing with MOD would, in my opinion be a non-starter. However the re-use of redundant MOD property would be acceptable. There are many commercial explosive storage and manufacture operations conducted on former MOD property. Have a look at some of the old airfield sites in the Vale of York, Lincolnshire, and East Anglia. Many of these have small scale industrial units on them. Some of them like the Faldingworth complex are home to a number of explosives related businesses.

#42 whoof

whoof

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:26 PM

For all the negative thoughts though I can think of at least 3 new HSE sites that have been established in the last few years. One in particular on a green field very rural location with no local objections being raised.

Thats encouraging.
I have been looking for a while for a location for a semi retirment location (selfbuild eco house/self sufficient type thing)
Spec is such that it could well be a suitable place for a factory at the end o the garden type thing.

Keeping the factoy in mind are there any things in particular i need to look out for ?.

I understand the neeed for separation , are there any quirky bits too look out for ?

#43 spectrum

spectrum

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:39 PM

Quote Spectrum
"I had been working in the pyrotechnics industry for the past 15 yeays and knew how to do this"

Your factory started from a position where you were known of good character and great knowledge in the industry, and knew the HSE positively.

The society starts from almost the opposite position -little or no industry knowledge or credibility and a wall of caution between us and HSE.

Also you formed your factory when things were still made in Britain and factories were OK. Now we have outsourced all hazard, risk and dirt and sent it to places with a worse environmental record so that no-one gets hurt in our factories because there are none!

An off industry example is the ship dismantling dock built on the East Coast, A specially built huge containment building where all the steel copper and hazardous materials could be separated indoors for handling as the ship was being cut up. The whole thing lies unused because the neighbours don't like it, and ships are cut up on the Asian coast letting all the pollutants run into the sea and air.

Very Kind words about me Roger, too kind mate actually, I know plenty who would disagree. And you are right about the state of industry in this country and outsourcing of just about everything. But when I first applied for the licence 1995 - 6 most of the industry had already died - admittedly it was still easier then than now. We are in the process of amending our licence to cover new activities etc. and the inspectorate do require assurances and supporting evidence for what we are planning to do.

#44 exat808

exat808

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:57 PM

Thats encouraging.
I have been looking for a while for a location for a semi retirment location (selfbuild eco house/self sufficient type thing)
Spec is such that it could well be a suitable place for a factory at the end o the garden type thing.

Keeping the factoy in mind are there any things in particular i need to look out for ?.

I understand the neeed for separation , are there any quirky bits too look out for ?

A start point must be "what do you intend to manufacture?" and then you must detail how the processes will be undertaken.
Maybe a read through the Approved Code of Practice (ACOP) to MSER will answer some of your questions. The guidance to Regulation 4 is of particular importance. There is plenty of it and takes time to digest in full.
You should also read the guidance document for HSE site licence applications. This can be found here - http://www.hse.gov.u...rms/exguide.pdf

Once you have finished reading - then I suggest that you speak to Spectrum and Digger ( and others) to determine a way ahead..

#45 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2011 - 05:09 PM

I very intrested in the question so many people have said there is no way in the uk that you can get a licence to make bp because of really old laws therefore any stars bp based will not be allowed. (willows, brocades ect) has any manufacture got around this yet and how. as also burst is bp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users