• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 burrelly

burrelly

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 04:08 AM

I am running an airsoft game and I am looking for some impressive battle field effects to do.

I have some nap units and load of marrons up to 100gram in size as well as som mil smoke grenades.

Is there any effects i could do that would be extra special and give that WOW factor?

Airsoft site is 1000 acres so can be pretty much any size.
Hawkairsoft

#2 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

Light Up The Sky - KF Pyro Crew

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 08:41 AM

What about a line of ground hits with a maroon on the end. Fired from a nail board it will give the look of machine gun fire racking the ground with an explosion on the end.

Mark
KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

#3 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 09:41 AM

What about whistle fused maroons to simulate charge drops?

#4 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 10:51 AM

100g maroons - Hope you have good insurance.

Yes whistle --> maroon can be very effective. It's not 'realistic' but it's what the general public expect that incoming artilliary sounds like.

If you could rig up an ammo / fuel dump to gradually (in a matter of seconds) explode I'm sure they would like that. Use plastic / fibre barrels with a small maroon / nap (instead of metal ones) for the fuel dump and just use cardboard boxes made to look like ammo crates with maroons inside. See if you can stick a few comets or small (2") shells without the lift charge fused to go instantly to add 'trails' of exploded tracer ammo.

Something like that to finish it off will surely please people.
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#5 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 01:37 PM

lol... thought this link would get AdamW out of bed :)
KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

#6 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 05:40 PM

Im always up early anyway - comes instictively to me.

#7 BurlHorse

BurlHorse

Burlhorse

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 06:55 PM

Cremora Pots come to mind for a safe® sane® effect for the fuel dump. If Admins don't mind I'll give more info, but these can be very effective for fireball effects and they are about as simple as you can get for the bang for your buck.....

Regards, Stay Green,

Bear
There are old pyros, and there are bold pyros, but there are not very many old, bold pyros....

Check Out My E-Bay Auctions !!

#8 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 07:00 PM

Cremora was a coffee creamer / whitener in SA... you going to make coffee for us BurlHorse ? :) though I guess it may be the same product in the States and it does give a nice fireball once you eject a cloud of it into the air.

.. 2 sugars with mine please :P

Mark

... you know your a pyro when your response to how you like your coffee is..

75% H2O
5% Sugar
20% Milk

Milled for about 2 hours :lol:

Edited by The_Djinn, 29 February 2004 - 07:04 PM.

KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

#9 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 07:06 PM

Cremora Pots come to mind for a safe? sane? effect for the fuel dump. If Admins don't mind I'll give more info, but these can be very effective for fireball effects and they are about as simple as you can get for the bang for your buck.....

Regards, Stay Green,

Bear

Please go ahead Tony.

#10 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 07:09 PM

Burl - when you post the instructions, replace 'Cremora', which isn't available here, with 'high fat calf milk replacer', available from all good agricultural merchants.

#11 BurlHorse

BurlHorse

Burlhorse

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 09:05 PM

Well with all this administrative approval, without further Adieu, hehe ;)

Cremora pots as they are affectionatley known on this side of the big pond, are a simple but effective approach to creating huge fireballswith a minimum of materials or labor.

Thank you Adam for mentioning "High Fat Content...." as it's the fat that does most of the burning when finely dispersed into the air.

OK, these can range in size from a large styrofoam drink cup to 55gal plastic drums. (Shameless plug, Mike Seets and I did a 55 gallon drum during a shoot, with 300 lbs of High fat content calfs milk replacer and I was looking for the link to the picture, but can't find it...oh well, lets just say it was huge...hehe)

OK, so for this tutorial, we're going to use a 5 gallon drywall bucket for the pot. Normal safety procedures apply here, as we will be using an e-match and Granulated BP, they are both static sensitive, keep the bare copper leads to the e-match twisted together and do this before going any further.

First things first, you'll want to bury half of your container, so get to digging! Because of the static issues, keep the bucket on the ground, do not build this on a table, chair, cinder block etc, keep it on the ground. Next drill a 1/2" hole in the side of the bucket as close to the bottom as you can. put the business end of the e-match through this hole and tape it down so the squib is near the middle of the bottom. This being done, put the bucket into the hole you dug previously, keeping the e-match leads above ground, connect them to whatever firing system you going to use, but remember to shunt/short the other end until time to fire, check this and double check this before proceeding.....you have been warned.... fill in the hole around the bucket to secure it.

For this particular scenario, we will use 2fg BP, 1pound, or a whole can. Pour the bp into the bucket so it spreads across the bottom, welders gloves are recommended and keep your face and body away from the open bucket. Next, place one sheet of newspaper over the BP, no rocket science here, we just want to separate the BP from the Calves milk powder. It will take one 50 pound bag to fill this pot, so rip open the bag and gently pour it over the news print until the bucket is full. You now have a very live and potentially dangerous cremora pot. Rules that apply: If it can happen, it just may, keep people away from this device and the leads going to it.

When the appropriate time comes, apply voltage to the leads and watch the coolest fireball and mushroom cloud ever!!

As I said these can be scaled up or down, the 5 Gallon one I just described will produce a searing fireball about 30 feet wide by 150 feet tall and you can feel the heat from 100 yds away, gang firing ten of these seperated by 15 feet, in line, can be an awsome spectacle. Smaller versions, as in a 32 ounce drink cup, 2 oz's of BP and full to the top of CMR or Coffee Mate, etc will produce a fireball about 8 feet wide and 30 feet tall, great for small displays in need of a big display effect.

OK, well there you have it, Be safe, Have fun, Stay Green,

Bear
There are old pyros, and there are bold pyros, but there are not very many old, bold pyros....

Check Out My E-Bay Auctions !!

#12 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 10:06 PM

Could milk powder be used as that's flamable (or at least the ones in ration packs are). This is just encase I cant find any of this 'high fat calf milk replacer'. Oh, and does anybody know how much it will cost ruffly?

Stuart

#13 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 10:19 PM

Around ?15 for a 15 kilo bag I believe.

#14 Loci

Loci

Time Lord

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 10:41 PM

Im sure you can use icing sugar aswell, coco powder, flour, dried milk etc. Really, its just creating an fuel air explosion. We did it in out chemisrty class, we used an old dried milk tin (like a metal paint pot) made a hold in to place a piece or rubber tubing that sat behind a ledge that was filled with flour. in the bottom of the tin we put a candle. clsoed the lid of the tin and then blow on the straw... makes quite a bang, i assure you...

Fraser
"There are always alternatives. "
"If your Aunty had balls.... She'd be your Uncle!"

#15 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 10:49 PM

Any dust will work, but it's the high-fat content that really improves the visual effect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users