#16 BurlHorse

BurlHorse

Burlhorse

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 05:57 AM

Richard,

Help me out here...... I can understand the lack of chemicals over there, and I am empathetic to all the other issues that stand in the way of hobbyists....but geez, I am really getting, well, peeved at all the "well wouldn't this work" posts after giving good credible info. You do have cows over there, or is it my imagination? Therefore you have Agricultural supply stores there as well, over here, it would be southern states.......Adam, obviously knows what to use, as he pinned the tail on the donkey by naming the exact stuff we use to produce the effect. Hats off to ya Adam.

To those who want to try other methods when a tried and trued method is presented to you, you have my blessings, as the old saying goes, you gotta burn to learn, I'm just tryin to eliminate the burn part........

Regards, Stay Green,

Bear
There are old pyros, and there are bold pyros, but there are not very many old, bold pyros....

Check Out My E-Bay Auctions !!

#17 Matt

Matt

Another Aussie Trying To take Over

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 06:51 AM

Yea but Stuart is one of those chem synth boys..... :rolleyes:

-Matt
Try to run! try to hide! Break on through to the other side!! YYYEEEAAAAOOHHHHHHHHAAAAHHHHHHHH

#18 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 06:54 AM

You are right but I personally cant get to any agricultural stores nor do I have the transport for 15 kilos of high fat calf milk replacer. I therefore look for alternatives. All of my tooling has been made from things that are lying around as once again, I cant get to a B&Q or similar DIY store.

Stuart

EDIT:This was a reply to Burlhorse as Matt sneaked in a post as I was typing :rolleyes:

Edited by Stuart, 01 March 2004 - 06:55 AM.

#19 BurlHorse

BurlHorse

Burlhorse

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 07:04 AM

Yea but Stuart is one of those chem synth boys.....  :rolleyes:

-Matt

No, with all "Due" Respect, Stuart is an accident waiting to happen.... :unsure: ....Sorry dude, but I calls em the way I see's em.

Regards, Stay Green,

Bear
There are old pyros, and there are bold pyros, but there are not very many old, bold pyros....

#20 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 07:18 AM

Very well, if you believe that this is the case, then you may. However, you cannot tell people that I am an accident waiting to happen as you have not seen my methods.

Stuart

#21 Loci

Loci

Time Lord

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 08:15 AM

I was simply give alternative for people to use if they cant happen to get their hands on any Dried High Fat Clafs Milk... Why use something that might not be availiable to you or when a 50 pence bag of flour or cheepy tin of custard powder will most likely give the same effect?

Fraser
"There are always alternatives. "
"If your Aunty had balls.... She'd be your Uncle!"

#22 BurlHorse

BurlHorse

Burlhorse

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 08:18 AM

How true,

I have not seen your methods, nor do I believe I want to be anywhere near your "Methods". I suppose you want me to believe that your synthesis of sodium chlorate is A-OK, Sodium Chlorate is the Fool's gold of Pyro. My opinion.....I think not. It's a proven fact that this chemical alone is enough to give you the credibility of Adam Ant. I've seen your Ball Mill, pretty impresive at first blush, another accident waiting to happen truth be known, I have been pretty respectful of your youthful exuberance when all is said and done.

Keep playing around Stuart and you are going to get hurt, it's just a matter of time, and I feel sad for that. Physics in general is nothing to be cavalier about, the research in the field created the Atom charge for Crimminy sakes, but you are so bold that you are fearless, I.E; have no respect for energetic materials. while you have brought some useful material to the table, as a whole, I think you are undeed an accident waiting to happen......

My humble oppinion ibsbs again........

Good luck, Stay green,;

#23 Loci

Loci

Time Lord

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 09:46 AM

Getting a bit off topic aren't we?

Come on guys, wheres all the love gone? Can't we all just get along?

If stuart is gonna blow himself up, thats his problem, dont be worried about him BurlHorse...

Fraser

#24 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 10:32 AM

I guess it is because Stuart's future accident is completely avoidable that he feels he has to make the comment. IMO the only reason he is still alive is that that sodium chlorate is pretty hygroscopic and the stuff he uses is loaded with salt even after one cycle of recrystalisation.

I agree with Loci though, if Stuart insists he is OK taking those risks there is nothing we can do.

I only hope the 'accident' will not result in even more draconian laws for us.

#25 Loci

Loci

Time Lord

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 10:42 AM

Really though, he should not get so worked up about it. If Burlhorse thinks that Stuart is going to give something up just he casue he says so... well, the the world unfortunatly does not work like that. I could perhaps take a near miss to make him change his mind....

Fraser

#26 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

Light Up The Sky - KF Pyro Crew

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 02:12 PM

BurlHorse,

You do have cows over there, or is it my imagination?

Umm, Yes.... MAD ones :) .. but that just gives extra effect :P

Mark
KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

#27 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 04:42 PM

1.Where has this thing about me making Sodium Chlorate come from?
2.Lots of people use Potassium Chlorate, no probs there.
3.We are all accidents waiting to happen, just some more likely than others.
4.My methods are safe, you think otherwise, fine.
5.I would like to know why my ball mill is unsafe.
6.There is no definite chance that I will get hurt, I may lead a full life and live to 100 but you Burlhorse my die tomorrow.
7.I do have respect for energetic materials, what ever gave you the idea that I don't.
8.You have nothing to worry about if I do get killed, after all, according to Burlhorse, I only seem to play with Sodium Chlorate so it is only that which will get banned and I am sure that no body else would dare even consider being as foolish and reckless as me to use it for anything

Edited by Stuart, 01 March 2004 - 04:44 PM.

#28 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

Light Up The Sky - KF Pyro Crew

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 05:38 PM

Guy's, you want to have a slagging match fine, just take it to the general discussion area and lets try get this link back on track.

BurlHorse was asked to post a formula which he kindly has done.
As for obtaining the ingrediants, that is pretty easy and we should not try to find substitues as soon as a post has been published. I myself have been guilty of this. I have read a post and pondered if I can substitute as I dont have one of the items... then I stop myself and try see if I can get my hands on it first before exploring substitutes.

Mark
KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

#29 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 06:49 PM

OK everyone, shake hands and make up gentleman-style.

Burl, I can understand your frustration at the 'how about this' posts. Let me explain.

If Mr. Horse thought gravy powder would work, I'm sure he would have stated so. Cremora / Milk replacer is used _because that is what works_. I'd have actually been glad to hear that, as it saves you lot having to run around and try flour, custard powder (that _will_work well) and dandruff. It is likely that other things will work, but that should be up to you to FIND OUT YOURSELF. This isn't very dangerous you know, so do a bit of experimenting yourself.

Second thing to get my attention: 'Chem Synth' - If a particular member wants to make his own chemicals from different precursors then let them as long as they are aware of the safety points and potential contamination issues with the product. Please dont let this stop people from making constructive suggestions such as 'I have spotted a potential safety issue with....'. There was however, no need to turn this post into the slagging-match it became.

Now, back to the issue in hand....
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#30 BurlHorse

BurlHorse

Burlhorse

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 07:05 PM

Pardon my "Arrogant" post Stuart, what you consider condemnation is really about caring for my fellow pyro's. If you take it to mean anything else, perhaps you should re-examine your thinking or better yet your practices.

As to my dying tomorrow, I can't almost guarantee it wont be from a chemical disaster or Pyro Mishap. While I have great repect for the dead, I don't plan on marching in thier ranks for awhile, I've lead a full life, I am Christian so I don't fear death per se`. You have just begun to enjoy it, I'd like you to make it to my age and lead a full and happy life......... However, just to add to the macabre, my last will and testament, states plainly that my ashes are to be lofted in (however many it takes) 16 inch willow/gold glitter shells at the first 4th of july CrackerJacks shoot, following my death. So you see, I won't likely die from Fireworks, but my dedication to them is such that I will go out with a big beautiful bang. Many of our Long departed CJ Members have been memorialized this way. Have you thought that far ahead?

Your 1,2,3,4,5, list was duly noted and I will share my information with all, regardless as it is credible and noteworthy to those less experienced than you. No harm no foul as they say, if you feel fouled, then I apologize for whatever I might have said to hurt your feelings, fear not you need'nt listen to anything I have to say, my messages come from a land of freedom, as do yours, so feel free to delete, not look at, don't listen to or simply run away when you see this 'ol Bear ramble up over the hillside, your choice. #6 Especially interests me, as you use the word "chance", here are the known or accepted meanings of the word Chance....

Noun

The unknown and unpredictable element in happenings that seem to have no assignable cause.
A force assumed to cause events that cannot be foreseen or controlled; luck: Chance will determine the outcome.
The likelihood of something happening; possibility or probability. Often used in the plural: Chances are good that you will win. Is there any chance of rain?
An accidental or unpredictable event.
A favorable set of circumstances; an opportunity: a chance to escape.
A risk or hazard; a gamble: took a chance that the ice would hold me.
Games. A raffle or lottery ticket.
Baseball. An opportunity to make a putout or an assist that counts as an error if unsuccessful.

adj.
Caused by or ascribable to chance; unexpected, random, or casual: a chance encounter; a chance result.

v. chanced, chanc?ing, chanc?es
v. intr.
To come about by chance; occur: It chanced that the train was late that day.

v. tr.
To take the risk or hazard of: not willing to chance it.

Phrasal Verb:
chance on or upon
To find or meet accidentally; happen upon: While in Paris we chanced on two old friends.

Idioms:
by chance
Without plan; accidentally: They met by chance on a plane.
Possibly; perchance: Is he, by chance, her brother?

Which form of the word did you mean to use?? Seems to me the word chance in most usages elludes to the unforeseeable, but thats a crock because we have KNOWN variables in Pyro, so I'll not likely die by chance, can you say the same?

You seem to think I am picking on you, sorry Stuart, I was trying to look out for you and the other members of this forum by pointing out FACTUAL Chemical Information that you or they may not have read up on. Thats what these Blogs are for.

To the other members, My humble apologies for your having to listen to this, I'll not burden the forum again with this subject, nor will I abandon you Stuart, as you too are one who hath smelt the smoke and that makes us brothers, like it or not..

Take Care, Stay Green,

Bear

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users