#31 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 07:19 PM

OW!

Remember, people dont give advice like this because they like to practice on their keyboard.

Some people may well have died (through their own stubornness, stupidity or lazyness) to give people safety facts like that, so don't go about re-enforcing what is known to be dangerous because you have gotten away with it -for now-
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#32 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 08:09 PM

I don't see you picking on me BH, I can see that you are very very concerned about safety and will talk about it far more than most. A little something I have noticed about you is that you have an ability to go on and on about safety and yet not annoy me unlike most people who would. This is something I like about you.

It was not so much you thinking that I would hurt myself or saying that I should not be using Chlorate's, what annoyed me was the fact that your posts implied that I was a fool for using Chlorate's.

I have read about Chlorate's and heard them mentioned as dangerous countless times on the forum. The reality is that I haven't used a Chlorate in months.

I haven't though about death from explosives as quite simply, if I die, I wont really care as I will be dead. Like you, I don't fear death either. I have the full intention of living until I die of age it's just I am taking more risks than you. The trouble is that you see anyone who does something more risky than you as stupid. I don't mean that in an offencive way.

Adam, I don't think that I have -gotten away-, as you put it, with not being injured. I see that I have taken the correct steps with Chlorate's so as not to have been injured or at least reduced the risks as that is all we can do, reduce risks, not eliminate them completely.

As for the chance bit and definitions, you are being pedantic. I mean chance as in no matter how much you try, you cannot solve all variables and eliminate all risks. This is why I said that you may die tomorrow as an unexpected turn of events may occur and that I may live to 100 as the conditions that would bring about an accident may never show themselves.

Stuart

Edited by Stuart, 01 March 2004 - 08:10 PM.

#33 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 08:47 PM

Right lets leave it there please.

You've all had your say so if you are going to do anything go back and read eachothers posts and try and understand from both sides.

#34 burrelly

burrelly

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 11:54 PM

Wow I started a fight!

I have access to:

4 Groundburst Simulators.
2 100gram maroons +ti.
2 minute arena smokes.
9 L21a1's.
5 L19a1's.
1 L20a1.
1 military ring pull smoke.
2 skyblaser flares.
26 10gram maroons.
1 10gram thunder flash.

An effect that usually goes down well is a petrol / maroon. These produce nice fireballs and black smoke.

I also bury the maroons under compost to make debry fly up that is soft and will not injure the actors.

I do not have a great firing system I made it my self and it only has 7 firing ports. What would you suggest?

I will buy some icing sugar and try the explosions mentiond above.

I eas thinging about a maroon in a bag with charcoal to produce a black cloud. Will this work or will it have strange effects?

I read somewhere about sawdust and charcoal being dangerous why is this what does it do?

Below is a smal effect carried out the other day what do you think?

http://www.hawkairso.....ar attack.mpg

Burrelly
Hawkairsoft

#35 StfuStuf

StfuStuf

Hardcore

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 01:15 AM

I eas thinging about a maroon in a bag with charcoal to produce a black cloud. Will this work or will it have strange effects?

Err wouldn't this be a potential hazard for a dust explosion? I doubt you'd be using chunky charcoal to make a cloud... Wasnt there a story about a TV show that tried to make a cloud using flour and a maroon? The pianist died from the resulting dust explosion that also destroyed the set aswell.
the best bands to hear while making fireworks:exploited,distillers,rancid,billy talent, refused,sexpistols,unseen,sublime

#36 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 02:45 AM

Pigment grade black iron oxide instead?

#37 burrelly

burrelly

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 03:19 AM

Getting hold of chamicals is not my strong point i would much rather use easily available materials.
Hawkairsoft

#38 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 04:54 AM

You can get iron oxide pigments from the local hardware store, they are used in colouring cement and grout. Cheap as chips too, basically non-toxic and harmless, but fantastically staining.

Do you really think it would turn into a FAE anyway?

I'd just do something with napthelene which leaves lots of black junk drifting around.

#39 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 11:05 AM

You might be surprised as to how much charcoal or lampblack you need to get a convincing black cloud. The powder has to be relatively fine for it to hang in the air and that means it often produces a translucent cloud which disperses quickly. I would suspect that 5Kg> would be required to make even a half decent cloud viewed at a distance. When I did some airshow works we were using 10kg lampblack bursts and 25kg Naphthalene bursts, admittedly we used HE to get it in the air but the lampblack was Okay, not brilliant. Fullers Earth is good for grey dust clouds.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#40 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 06:56 PM

For a black cloud you will have to use either lampblack, napthalene or a pigment / poster paint. Fullers earth is cheap and makes a decent 'earth' coloured cloud.

Sawdust and charcoal dangerous? Not really - How is it different to lampblack or napthalene - which IS very flammable.

Try cement powder - but be careful due to its caustic and irritant nature. A pic of an effect created with this is here:

Mortar hit with nap and cement

Like I said, be aware of the hazards with cement, especially if public etc are there.

#41 StfuStuf

StfuStuf

Hardcore

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 03:27 AM

Hey isnt that a mortor thingy from Lord of the Rings?
the best bands to hear while making fireworks:exploited,distillers,rancid,billy talent, refused,sexpistols,unseen,sublime

#42 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 07:31 AM

Well, If they filmed Lord of the Rings in Lincolnshire then yeah I guess so :lol:

#43 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 07:19 AM

I tried a fireball using milk powder last weekend. The effect was a lot of smoke and a tall fireball going up. I have uploaded the video's to my picture site.

Milk Powder Fireball 1
Milk Powder Fireball 2

I think I need to use a little more BP for the lift as not all of the milk powder burnt but is this the sort of effect that should be achieved? Having said that, petrol produces more interesting results.

Petrol Fireball 1

Stuart

#44 burrelly

burrelly

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 10:52 AM

http://www.hawkfx.com/vids/bus.WMV

Largeish fireball at bus :)
Hawkairsoft

#45 BurlHorse

BurlHorse

Burlhorse

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 04:25 PM

Amen.......

Regards, Stay Green,

Bear
There are old pyros, and there are bold pyros, but there are not very many old, bold pyros....

Check Out My E-Bay Auctions !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users