Photo

a safe legal location for amateur experimentation and testing in N W Leicestershire

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 icarus

icarus

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:58 AM

I am considering erecting a number of very small drab green sheds in our remote field location there is electricity available . Eventually i will have milling shed, star roller visco machine?  , hydrualic press , chemical store ,black powder store . testing area   etc etc  all in place for safe amateur  use . fully alarmed linked to 24 hr monitoring  security company . there will also be a goose shed , they are great guards .

It will be  a lot of work for me to build this and operate it alone . Is there anyone out there who would like to come along and use this facility??? It is much more enjoyable working as a group sharing ideas.

Would anyone like to join me in this venture???? . I do not want your money!!! . for example if you were to put up a shed it would remain yours ,sited free and you could take it away again any time you wished to.  Ive a whole load of strong ex mod lockers you could lock away tools etc in with your own lock . theres plenty of space available .

also if you are in the midlands and would like to have a pyro orientated evening either hands on or just a social /drinks  time singular or regular event please post below .If you dont have access to post messages on this forum yet then  text or call 07976 818006 .

Do pyro enthusiasts exist in the midlands or am I the last one out here!!!

protodezine@gmail.com

#2 samboradford

samboradford

• UKPS Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 12:32 PM

My god,  I wish I was living in your neighbourhood.   That's an opportunity to be snapped up.  I would be interested in meeting up, realistically given how far away I am, might only be once a year though ?

#3 BlackCat

BlackCat

• UKPS Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 02:21 PM

That's a very generous offer Icarus, I'd definitely be interested in meeting up sometime, I'm in Northants so right next door really!

#4 dave

dave

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 07:10 PM

that sounds like a great offer and opportunity :)

pity I'm at the edge of nowhere down here in the south :(

#5 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 08:00 PM

I'd certainly be happy to donate a small shed and a few days of my limited skills to this. I would also be able to get a borrow of some construction tools/equipment and maybe some materials.

Yo Ho Ho, a pyro's life for me

#6 samboradford

samboradford

• UKPS Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:15 PM

Maybe we need an interactive map of where we all are ?

#7 icarus

icarus

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:54 PM

excellent !! Ive been given some nearly new office desks so work benches are no problem . visitors always  very welcome . Have we any good planners who would like to help ??? spacing?? site layout/ plan   store? later a chlorate usuage area? Ive got electrical firing and cctv camera for closeup view and a 4 tonne hydraulic press with pressure guage.  I have some high steel gates to put on entrance to field.

The small shed is a really great start  .Yes please - we could put a combination lock on the door and we have our first experimental research workshop for devices containing under 100g  .

my wife is building an experimental straw bale building with lime mortared bales and an overhanging roof at the bottom of the field this will have tea coffee comfy chairs and a small wood burning stove.solar panels on roof etc so we have a small  winter meeting room .

somewhere on the field we can locate a fire pit area perhaps a few log seats round it -the words barbecue and charcoal production come to mind.

its pretty wild at the moment the stingers and grass are about 2 ft high

protodezine@gmail.com

#8 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 10:17 PM

Silly season is nearly upon us so not sure we'd have much time this year for anything more than a site visit/feasibility study, that would give us the winter for planning, then maybe get the ball rolling spring next year with a pyro day and work party.

#9 icarus

icarus

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 10:49 PM

the straw bale building is presently a pile of 2nd hand roof trusses and  about 80 straw bales stacked.  the base is a single row of concrete blocks to stop damp 2nd hand off gumtree) all in position floor levelled. grass removed etc All the long stakes are cut pointed ready to pin the walls together walls starting to be built tomorrow. not sure what the roof will be yet? ive got a trailer full of desk tops but they are chipboard so would need tarring etc not too keen  on them though  perhaps conveyor beltng tiles  depends what i can find on my travels

protodezine@gmail.com

#10 exat808

exat808

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:38 AM

Please contact me via PM to discuss how we may be able to assist in site design, and legal compliance etc.

#11 spectrum

spectrum

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:49 PM

Hi Steve,

I've sent you a private message.

Your proposal is, I would say, the most significant one I've ever seen posted on these forums - and knowing you as I do, I recognise it is a worthwhile and trusted proposal. Steve is a man of enormous integrity and honour, anyone who knows him takes him seriously.

I keep a back seat position in the society, I operate a licensed factory myself and whilst I understand the interest, enthusiasm and passion voiced in these forums I have to say the activities posted really do often fly in the face of the law - Please do not use this post to challenge my views as that would detract from Icarus's proposal - criticise me in another post or privately if you want/need to.

Private experimentation outside a lawful and properly established place just isn't going to work. I fail to see how it could be legal within the constraints of the law and in line with the ambitions and wishes of the participants. The authorities have tied things up (although they were fairly clear in the first place) and in any event, domestic property is really not the place for energetic materials. 

Enough about that, if I've offended anyone I'm sorry.

I proposed an offer along the lines of Icarus's post some years back, it went no-where. I had some criticism from a poster who messaged me to say this was underway (when it clearly wasn't), I gather another company jumped on my idea afterwards but was shown to be full of hot air, nothing since. This proposal - take it from me - is the best you guys are going to get and should be taken very seriously.

I am happy to support Steve, I licensed my own factory back in 1996 and have amended the license three times since, we are currently amending the license for the fourth time. My services are freely available to Steve - I am very much in his debt and cannot think of anyone I would rather work with.

I would offer some advice to all actively involved in pyrotechnic research. The world is changing - I have worked in the industry (not trade) for 32 years now and have seen many changes - non of these I have to say moving in a relaxed direction. Site licenses for manufacture are not given out readily. This could be the last and only chance for this society to legitimise its activities and, take it from me, the offer is VERY generous and of considerable value. 

Please consider Icarus's offer in that context - logistical issues, travel etc. are irrelevant really given the scale of the subject of pyro development. The hobby needs to be re-evaluated in line with what it actually is in todays political and legal climate.

I may have niggled some contributors - that will hopefully lead to some entertaining posts - but please NOT at the expense of Steves offer.

Paul M.

• Vic likes this

#12 exat808

exat808

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 09:22 AM

Just want to add to Pauls post above.

I too am prepared to offer time/advice/expertise freely to assist in the development of this project.

Some initial advice having observed this forum for many years....Don't sit and talk about all winter long ....get up and start it ASAP! 

#13 JamesB

JamesB

• UKPS Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:16 AM

I'd certainly be up for helping out, can do electrics, carpentry or just humping heavy stuff about. Based in Bristol so not too far away!

#14 Malcolm Smith

Malcolm Smith

Professional Pyrotechnist

• UKPS Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:29 PM

I'd certainly be happy to donate a small shed and a few days of my limited skills to this. I would also be able to get a borrow of some construction tools/equipment and maybe some materials.

Now about the antique sheds from Wells?

Great to put those back into use.

Firework Displays and Special Effects                http://www.supremefireworks.co.uk              

#15 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 03:52 PM

Now about the antique sheds from Wells?

Great to put those back into use.

Good point. Not sure how cost effective it would be, especially with regards to transport, plus i'm not actually sure they still exist.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users