• Please log in to reply
1235 replies to this topic

#76 Nova

Nova

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 05:15 PM

I buy my colouring nitrates from a lab supplier in small amounts, as I use hardly any
Ba(NO3)2 works out at ?14/kg, and Sr(NO3)2 at ?35/kg.

Am I being ripped off ?
almost certanly, but I have used less than half a kilo of each in about three years, so am prepared to pay a high price for it! They are of a guaranteed purity, but when you buy small it is incredable how much more it costs!

View Post

I'd say you're pretty much getting ripped off. Barium nitrate will cost me slightly more than 5 pounds for a kilo, but I haven't seen Strontium Nitrate for sale cheaply anywhere; I just use Strontium Carbonate wich costs me about 2 pounds a kilo.

On a different note, i cant find a supplier of Antimony Sulfide
i only need a small amount for various colour comps i'd like to try

View Post

Antimony Trisulfide is indeed pretty hard to get, that's why we're planning on buying it in bulk with a few other Dutch guys. 500 grams will probably cost less than 20 Euro's.

#77 Chaz

Chaz

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 06:49 PM

Heh, got a bit confused there! About the fuse, obviously I'm hoping it'll go well too. Does anyone know which courier GD use? I dont see why they cant use a popular courier like Amtrak or CityLink, I've only had good experience with those two in the past.

#78 Flashy

Flashy

Safety First!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 06:54 PM

Heh, got a bit confused there! About the fuse, obviously I'm hoping it'll go well too. Does anyone know which courier GD use? I dont see why they cant use a popular courier like Amtrak or CityLink, I've only had good experience with those two in the past.

View Post

Well it looks like GD are on a go slow for me. Ordered on tuesday, they still haven't taken the money from my account yet. Looks like another weekend without pyro, I've been preparing everything for a full week now because of my lack of KNo3.

#79 Chaz

Chaz

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 07:14 PM

Let us know when you receive it Flashy! Where does everyone get their titanium from? It seems to give beautiful effects, I'd love to make them myself. To my knowledge titanium is quite an expensive metal because it's difficult to extract from its ore, am I correct?

#80 broadsword

broadsword

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 10:24 PM

Let us know when you receive it Flashy! Where does everyone get their titanium from? It seems to give beautiful effects, I'd love to make them myself. To my knowledge titanium is quite an expensive metal because it's difficult to extract from its ore, am I correct?

View Post

yes it is expensive, But i have seen it somewhere fairly cheap... :glare: *thinking*
I will edit this post if i every remember where i saw it.
Broadsword Calling DannyBoy....

#81 ProfHawking

ProfHawking

3... 2... 1... Umm

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 01:47 AM

Well it looks like GD are on a go slow for me. Ordered on tuesday, they still haven't taken the money from my account yet. Looks like another weekend without pyro, I've been preparing everything for a full week now because of my lack of KNo3.

View Post

I ordered from GD 3 days ago i think. They took my money next working day. I got my 25k of kno3 and 5k of sulphur this morning. You might want to give them a call, perhaps somethign has gone wrong with your order.

Does anyone know which courier GD use? I dont see why they cant use a popular courier like Amtrak or CityLink, I've only had good experience with those two in the past.

It came in an unmarked white van, bloke wasnt in a uniform, and the labels give nothing away. Im mystified as to what courrier service it was. Your guess is as good as mine. But anyway, everything worked in order, so im not complaining :P

Where does everyone get their titanium from? It seems to give beautiful effects, I'd love to make them myself. To my knowledge titanium is quite an expensive metal because it's difficult to extract from its ore, am I correct?

Titanium powder? I'd love to get some. I've not found readily avaliable powder supplier, but i have found titanium rod. This makes it reasonably cheap i think.
http://www.mutr.co.u...aspx?prodID=626
Does anyone konw if it is possible to grind up, or is it too hard?

Antimony Trisulfide is indeed pretty hard to get, that's why we're planning on buying it in bulk with a few other Dutch guys. 500 grams will probably cost less than 20 Euro's.

Do you think i could tag along and also order some with you? Would be great if i could

#82 Andrew

Andrew

Rocket Scientist, no really, I am!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 03:18 PM

The Courier that GD use are called ANC.

Edited by Andrew, 24 February 2005 - 10:37 AM.

#83 Nova

Nova

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 03:39 PM

Do you think i could tag along and also order some with you? Would be great if i could

I guess so, but I'm not really sure if shipping Sb2S3 from the Netherlands to the UK would be possible. PM me for more information if you're interested.

Titanium powder? I'd love to get some. I've not found readily avaliable powder supplier, but i have found titanium rod. This makes it reasonably cheap i think.
http://www.mutr.co.u...aspx?prodID=626
Does anyone know if it is possible to grind up, or is it too hard?

How thick is such an rod? They're talking about body piercing, so it will probably be too thin to be easily filed down.

#84 Nova

Nova

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 07:23 PM

Flashy, the guy selling those chemicals will problably be arrested or at least will be visited in the upcoming weeks. Pentaerythritol doesn't really have any other uses besides the production of PETN, that's why it's a heavily watched chemical.

I wouldn't buy things from someone who sells other 'questionable' chemicals. You make an order, the guy gets busted and you lose your money.

Nova, cheers for offering to try help me out, but i should be ok for my little experiments now for a bit.? Maybe if the results are good i'd want more, but i think the difficulty of getting antimony trisulfide will prevent me from using it for lots of stars.

Not having a certain chemical or tool will always make you search for an other possibility. Perhaps you can exchange the Antimony trisulfide with some other chemical, like sodium bicarbonate, or maybe you'll find an other interesting composition.

Edited by Nova, 18 February 2005 - 07:24 PM.

#85 Flashy

Flashy

Safety First!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 07:31 PM

Flashy, the guy selling those chemicals will problably be arrested or at least will be visited in the upcoming weeks. Pentaerythritol doesn't really have any other uses besides the production of PETN, that's why it's a heavily watched chemical.

View Post

Actually Pentaerythritol is used in a surprising array of products,
such as

Resin Paints
Synthetic Dying Oils
Ester gum (glycerin rosin ester)
Platicizers (give plasticity to synthetic resins)
Waxes (emulsifiers in cosmetics)
Textiles (used in softening processes for synthetic fibers and chemical fibers)
Lubrication Oils

Also used in medicine to lower blood pressure, as a tackifier in synthetic rubber manufacture, and as a stabilizer in vinyl chloride, among other uses.

#86 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 01:20 PM

Personally I think selling anything of this nature on e-bay is irresponsible, and not to mention the fact that you get ripped off.

#87 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 01:22 PM

PENTAERYTHRITOL POWDER
?4.95

Yes it does have its other uses.. but come on! We know what it is intended for. The fact that this kind of stuff is in eBay scares me.
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#88 sasman

sasman

Sasman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 02:19 PM

I have to admit that selling that on ebay is asking for trouble? Even though there are legitimate use's for it ..its there for only one purpose.....

And it would put me off buying from them knowing that soon the police would soon come knocking on there door.. wanting to see customers addresses and what they have bought...

#89 Flashy

Flashy

Safety First!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 02:25 PM

I have to admit that selling that on ebay is asking for trouble? Even though there are legitimate use's for it ..its there for only one purpose.....

And it would put me off buying from them knowing that soon the police would soon come knocking on there door.. wanting to see customers addresses and what they have bought...

View Post

The listing has been removed anyway, so no need to worry about anyone buying it.

#90 Andrew

Andrew

Rocket Scientist, no really, I am!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 06:40 PM

I wouldn't buy things from someone who sells other 'questionable' chemicals. You make an order, the guy gets busted and you lose your money.
Not having a certain chemical or tool will always make you search for an other possibility. Perhaps you can exchange the Antimony trisulfide with some other chemical, like sodium bicarbonate, or maybe you'll find an other interesting composition.

View Post

I've had experience with this sort of thing, I'll start a new thread one day to tell all about having to entertain SO13 one morning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users