• 664 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:15 AM

ha ha sorry

#17 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:25 AM

i'll be up for it (dependant on date and location)
ffs
Yo Ho Ho, a pyro's life for me

#18 patrickescotland

patrickescotland

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:53 AM

I attended the course back in February 2009 and it was excellent. The exam is a multiple choice test and was by no means easy; there is a lot of info to take in. You also have the opportunity to ask the experts questions and potentially meet other professionals. Video posted below- the latter half shows some high speed video @ 300 fps. Many thanks to Illuminate Consult and Wayne for organising.

ps. I would certainly not have an issue with paying a bit extra for better facilities - the staff were very friendly, however it was a tad cold and Gordon Ramsay might not have been very happy with the catering!

The flame that burns half as long burns twice as bright...

#19 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:14 AM

What went whistling past horizontally on the grass at 11 seconds? :o

#20 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:27 AM

What went whistling past horizontally on the grass at 11 seconds? :o

Good question, looked like a stray star or insert... Fireworks are not an exact science!
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#21 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:19 PM

The venue for the course is not yet fixed. The previous venue (used twice) works well, but the catering is minimal! However it was only by having this site that the course ever started.

If anyone has a location to offer with a classroom for 12 catering for 12 and a firework friendly firing site within a 10 minute walk then please offer your wisdom to the organisers.

There is the possibility that there will be further courses over the years and locations in various parts of the country could assist members to take a course near them.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#22 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:22 PM

I'm surprised not many people have put there name down for this so far, it sounds like a excellent course and at a very good price to.

good old credit crunch lol

Edited by PyroPDC, 22 April 2009 - 12:23 PM.

#23 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 01:01 PM

Unfortunately, a good majority have already taken this particular course. Perhaps we will have a rethink and offer an alternative course such as the SFX one organised by Event Horizon.

#24 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 01:02 PM

Yes, it's a very good course and cheap at the price.

Problem is, it's run a couple of times before and we may have used up most of the people who want to do it...

If we don't get some more takers fairly soon, we may give up on this one for now and look at offering something new that no one has done - we have some ideas knocking around!

PS - See Richard pipped me!

Edited by phildunford, 22 April 2009 - 01:06 PM.

Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#25 helix

helix

• UKPS Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:28 PM

I would like to attend but it would depend on the location as I'm up in scotland - where about would the course be held?

I would go if it was 4 hours or so in the car each way but dont fancy driving much more than that.

james

#26 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:18 PM

There have been two previous instances of this course opened to forum members. A maximum of 24 forum members have done the course through the forum. From about 1600 members, say 500 active UK based members, there should be enough members for another instance of the course!

So far everyone who did the course said that they 1/enjoyed it, and 2/ learned a lot. When a forum group divides up the full fee the course is an eye opening and very enjoyable day out with some cat4 fireworks to fire for a very reasonable price.

There is a reasonable request for a course at a venue in the north or south of the country, Sort out the venue and your society may well use it as a course venue.

If ever you have to prove competence then a formal course with certificate is a good move in the right direction.

#27 pyromaniac303

pyromaniac303

• UKPS Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:00 PM

Having just bought a new set of PPE today that should be suitable for the course, if it goes ahead I would be interested. Preferably in the North, but I will be willing to travel provided its not South of London (or actually in London after the amount of time it took me last time!).
You can never have a long enough fuse...

#28 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:57 PM

If the course does nothing else, the increased awareness of PPE and the need for it will be a great thing.

The course is highly relevant and concentrates on safely and lawfully firing the fireworks we love so much. As we involve ourselves with fireworks much more than the "average" member of the public we need to be especially careful to avoid the increased risk of incident.

#29 dogsbody

dogsbody

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:27 AM

I would also be intersted in it, but at the mo cant afford it and would prefer one to be run in the westcountry if possible.

#30 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:51 PM

Find a firework friendly venue near you with a classroom for 12, refreshments for 12 and a firing site with 100m clear space within a 10 minute walk of the classroom.

Then the society can arrange to deliver the course there.

For the benefit of the wider forum membership a UK wide provision of the course would help all the members have access to the training.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users