• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#61 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:16 PM

I shall see all of you on Saturday morning. I aim to be there from 8.30am.

#62 Vic

Vic

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:53 PM

Well I don't know how you other guys who are going are feeling, but I'm well excited and at the same time feeling some trepidation.

I would like to say a big thanks to UKPS for making this happen.

Vic
Freud. Artists, in this view, are people who may avoid neurosis and perversion by sublimating their impulses in their work.

#63 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:18 AM

Well I don't know how you other guys who are going are feeling, but I'm well excited and at the same time feeling some trepidation.

I would like to say a big thanks to UKPS for making this happen.

Vic

Thanks Vic - I think it's one of the important things we should be doing as an organisation.

Don't get too worried. It's just like being back at school, but much more fun! Everything you need to know to pass the course is taught on the day. Also do take the opportunity to grill the instructors - they have loads of useful knowledge & experience.

Remember, "the only stupid question is the one not asked"

Hope you all have fun!
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#64 teaboy

teaboy

Ejects Stars and Bangs

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 01:44 PM

PPE required:

Helmet with full face polycarb visor and ear defenders.
Flameproof clothing (many people use a welders boiler suit at about £10)
Stout boots.

I have been asked if a mesh type forrestry visor is suitable. I know there is a lot of debate on this subject, but this is the reply I have from Illuminate:

Hi Phil
Both our and the Insurer's advise is that a mesh type visor isn’t suitable.
They will stop particles down to a very small size but will not sufficiently reduce a direct blast wave and/or hot gas discharge under pressure.
We can bring a couple of spare full face visors for the firing practical and meantime,[b] I will check to see if the mesh visor would be acceptable for this exercise with fully enclosed safety goggles underneath.[/b]

Any news on this?

#65 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 02:12 PM

They have not actually got back to me again on this.

I think your best bet if you do not have a polycarb visor, would be to borrow one on the day. Illuminate say they will bring a couple of spares & I'm sure one of the other guys could loan you one. You do not need them all at once, as the firing excercise is done one at a time...
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#66 teaboy

teaboy

Ejects Stars and Bangs

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:34 PM

Am I right in thinking refreshments will be whatever I bring with me, or will there be a Beef Wellington and Jam Rolly-Polly to enjoy like all the other courses have?

#67 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:33 PM

The pub has changed hands and is now a regarded pub food and curry place. If the course runs as before then there will be tea and coffee available at breaks and a lunch break for food booked an hour or so before (during the morning)
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#68 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:31 PM

Am I right in thinking refreshments will be whatever I bring with me, or will there be a Beef Wellington and Jam Rolly-Polly to enjoy like all the other courses have?

Part of the deal with the pub was that a variety of food will be available (but you have to pay of course!) at lunchtime. I'm sure tea and coffee will be available at breaks as well. The pub (as Arthur says) is under new management (Lesley and John) so it's a bit of an unknown. However it was pretty basic before and may well be better! - Do let me know.

BTW if you want to fire in the afternoon YOU MUST NOT DRINK ALCOHOL IN THE DAY! - company rules & common sense. After the course, it's up to you of course.

Good luck everyone - show them how professional we are!
Posted Imagethegreenman

#69 teaboy

teaboy

Ejects Stars and Bangs

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:32 PM

Well, what a day! I've just got home from a great day with great people, and some great pub grub too! AND some pyro!

It was great to put faces to names, and find out that the people that live in my computer are a sound bunch of like-minded individuals and not freaks (well, most of them ;))

The course was a complete bargain (assuming I've passed!), and lots learned but plenty more to look at too.

Thanks all,

Dan

#70 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 10:17 PM

Thanks to Richard and the other UKPS staff that made this happen, and offcourse Chris and Steve for not sending home for asking stupid questions!!!
A very informative and enjoyable day.
Yo Ho Ho, a pyro's life for me

#71 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:27 PM

This was the third of these courses at this venue. It is beneficial that lots of members take and pass the course as it proves good intent when dealing with fireworks. It should help people to fire fireworks safely too.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#72 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:31 PM

I wouldn't order the champagne for my pass party yet :D

#73 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 10:06 AM

Glad you enjoyed!

Sorry I could not be there - having already done the course, I could not really justify the 250 mile round trip just to say hi...

Hopefully Richard looked after you all.

Knowing the folk on the course, I would not be too nervous about passing - a lot of pyro brains there!
Posted Imagethegreenman

#74 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 10:24 AM

Glad you all enjoyed the course. I think we all took away something new from it, regardless of previous experience. It was nice that there was a good mixture of people from different backgrounds and with varied levels of experience.

Some pics...

http://www.facebook....87&l=d17d828b64

I will be looking for the UKPS to collaborate with Illuminate Consult to run further courses in the future.

#75 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 10:24 AM

You should have said i would have brought you up on the bike :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users